personClick to Personalize
Home chevron_right Answers chevron_rightCareers & Internshipschevron_rightQuestion

How do I become an international translator?

QUESTION: I want to be an international translator, but I don't know of any colleges that specialize in this field. Can you help? Signed, Passport Ready

Dear Passport Ready: With the globalization of the economy, there will be increasing need for those who can communicate in different languages. The American Translators Association offers "Translator and Interpreter Programs in North America," which can help you learn about the programs available. Find out more by visiting their Web site at or by calling (703) 683-6100.

The Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS) offers a graduate program in translation and interpretation. You can learn about this program at

One thing to note is that if you look at the profiles of students attending the program, many of them studied a foreign language in college. Instead of attending a translator program, you can major in a foreign language and then attend a graduate program like that offered by MIIS to polish your translation abilities.

Ask Your Question
4 4 4 3 0 3 7
Gen & Kelly Tanabe

Gen and Kelly Tanabe are the founders of SuperCollege and the award-winning authors of 11 books on college admission, financial aid and scholarships. Together they were accepted to all of the Ivy League colleges and won more than $100,000 in merit-based scholarships to graduate from Harvard debt-free.